Paleo General Tso’s Chicken is crispy tender pan-fried chicken coated in a delicious sauce. This gluten & soy free General Tso’s Chicken recipe is a healthier take on the classic takeout dish. It uses whole food, high-quality ingredients, PLUS heat stable oil for frying. A true guilt-free pleasure for those living a healthy lifestyle!
I honestly thought my days of general tso’s chicken were long gone until the BF and I attempted this mind-blowing recipe.
Even though this recipe takes about an hour of prep (with two people in the kitchen), we made it twice within the last month because it’s just so damn good. Plus, we’re both big foodies and excited to spend time in the kitchen if it means good food in our bellies.
As a matter of fact, if we had to describe our perfect date night it would probably go something like this …
We’d start with a trip to the grocery store and load up on some healthy ingredients for a dish that we want to create that night. I’d probably take 10-minutes to find the freshest chicken with the latest expiry date while he gives me the “Are you for real?” look.
From there, we’d head back home and decide who’s doing what in the kitchen and set clear boundaries because according to some people (I won’t mention any names), boundaries are very important in a kitchen.
After making a mess and crossing all boundaries that were set, we’d chow down our creation and then discuss whether the dish is blog worthy over a glass of wine or two (OK fine, the entire bottle!). Oh, wait! Before all of that happens, I would spend another 10-minutes taking 50 photos of the same dish in hopes that one of them will turn out good for my blog.
AND that’s how our perfect date night would unfold – and usually does.
So, grab your significant other or friend and plan a date night in the kitchen where you can have some fun creating the most delicious general tso’s chicken you’ll ever taste!
What you need for Paleo General Tso’s Chicken
- Chicken breasts or thighs
- Arrowroot starch/flour
- Avocado oil
- Frank’s Red Hot or Siracha
- Ground ginger
- Dates or honey
- Sesame oil
- Coconut aminos
- Sea salt & black pepper
Want more healthy Asian-inspired recipes? You’re going to love these …
Paleo General Tso's Chicken
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts or thighs, cut into small chunks
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch/flour
- 1 red/yellow/orange pepper, sliced into small sticks
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- Avocado oil
- Sea salt & pepper
- 1 green onion, chopped (optional garnish)
General Tso's Sauce
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp Frank's RedHot, or Siracha
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 dates , or 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp. water
- Chop cauliflower into chunks, put in food processor and process into rice like consistency. Place on baking sheet, add 2 tbsp. avocado oil and sea salt then mix. Bake at 400F for 30-minutes while prepping other ingredients.
- Cover the bottom of a large frying pan with avocado oil and heat until it begins to sizzle.
- While oil is heating, combine arrowroot flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl and mix. Add chicken chunks and coat. Remove the chicken, shaking off extra flour and add to hot oil. You may need to do this in two batches if your frying pan is not big enough.
- Cook each batch for about 10 minutes, turning mid-way through, until all sides are golden. Set chicken aside.
- Add red pepper and onion to a large pot with 1 tbsp avocado oil and cook for 5-minutes or until tender.
- While veggies cook, blend all sauce ingredients until smooth.
- Add chicken and sauce to pot with red pepper and onion. Turn to low heat and mix to coat chicken with sauce for 1-2 minutes.
- Top cauliflower "rice" with general tso's chicken, garnish with green onion and enjoy!